As previously mentioned on our home page, the South Staffordshire Conservative Association has 3 clearly-defined political goals. When you choose to become one of our members, you can get involved with these goals as much or as little as you like. If you do not wish for a membership subscription to be your only contribution, then there are other ways in which you can get involved, such as giving us donations.
What we call your "Local Conservative Branch", that is, the Conservative Party Branch that operates for your Ward (and is one of several working as a group within the SSCA) can only be strong and effective if it has a group of active members. You can become involved with your local branch on any number of levels, which is dependent upon the amount of time that you are able to spare. For example, you may consider becoming a "Branch Committee Member", which involves working with the other committee members to build up membership numbers, raise funds, communicate with the electorate and help with campaigning.
The SSCA's 11 Branches and their Chairmen can be viewed here. Their addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses are available for viewing by downloading the attached file at the bottom of the page.
Our 5 Membership Types:
1. Branch Membership
Becoming a member of one of the SSCA's 9 main Branches costs a minimum of £25 per year (£2.09 per month) for people aged 23 or older. You can pay more if you wish - the excess will be kindly accepted as a donation. Full Membership of the SSCA entitles you to:
- Full voting rights to the Branch that you choose to become a part of (only available after you have been an SSCA member for 3 months) which allows you to participate in all decisions taken by the Party at national, regional and local level by giving your vote. These include the postal ballot for the election of the leader of the Conservative Party, the selection of candidates for Parliamentary, European, District and County Council Elections, and the ability to decide who the Chairman and other Officers will be at the SSCA's AGM's.
- Attend Party Conferences.
- Take part in the regular opportunities to influence policy development through the Conservative Policy Forum (CPF) discussion groups. Attending these group meetings allows Members to discuss a paper on a particular subject and the conclusions are sent to Conservative Central Office for their consideration. Information on future CPF meetings will be added to the Events, News and/or CPF pages.
- Apply to be nominated as a candidate for UK and European Parliaments, County and District Councils as an official Conservative candidate.
- Receive details of events run by the South Staffordshire Conservative Association via e-mail (if you give us your e-mail address when you become a member).
2. Westminster Club (WC) Membership
Becoming a member of the SSCA's Westminster Club Branch (a.k.a. our Gold Standard Branch) costs a minimum of £150 per year (£12.50 per month) for a single member or a minimum of £250 per year (£20.84 per month) for a couple, which includes full membership to the SSCA. You can pay more if you wish - the excess will be kindly accepted as a donation. You must also be (both) aged 18 years old or older.
You will be entitled to everything that a Branch Membership provides. Westminster Club will be your primary membership Branch, but you will also obtain a secondary membership to your Local Branch, with all of the appropriate voting rights that accompany this. This category of SSCA Membership will entitle you to things that a Branch Membership will not:
- You will receive details of high prestige WC-exclusive events that are never posted on our website.
- You will also receive exclusive Westminster Club newsletters informing you of recent WC news.
Further details are here.
3. Conservative Future (CF) Membership
Becoming a member of the SSCA's Conservative Future Branch is an exclusive special offer that we provide for young people. It was created for the sole purpose of attracting budding young Conservatives at an attractive price. Please note that it is only available for people aged 22 or younger at a minimum of £5 per year (£0.42 per month). You can pay more if you wish - the excess will be kindly accepted as a donation.
You will be entitled to everything that a Branch Membership provides. Conservative Future will be your primary membership Branch, but you will also obtain a secondary membership to your Local Branch, with all of the appropriate voting rights that accompany this. You will also have the additional benefit of:
- Being able to attend CF events in other constituencies.
Further details are here.
4. Armed Forces Membership
This is exactly the same as a Branch Membership, except with a £10 discount for anyone who is serving in any of the Armed Forces (£15 per year/£1.25 per month).
A "Friend" is simply any membership to the SSCA where you pay less than the required amount for your age category (with the lowest amount you can pay for a friend membership being £1). You will not be regarded as a full member, and you will therefore not have any voting rights. You will still receive a membership card and correspondence regarding upcoming events, but you are unable to attend or vote in our AGM's. Please bare in mind that you have the option to upgrade to a full membership at any time.
Regardless of what membership type you opt for, your membership must be renewed annually, but it can be paid for with 1 annual amount or with 12 monthly amounts.
There are 4 ways to join us, renew your membership or make a donation:
1. Download the SSCA's Membership Application Form (attached as a file at the bottom of the page).
- For payment via cash or cheques: Please complete the relevant sections of the form and post it to us with your payment enclosed.
- For payment via standing orders: Please complete the relevant sections of the form. Please do not return your form to the office; instead, get your bank to set up your standing order using the form.
If you are a member that is joining us for the first time, please fill out the "reference" section in the "office use only" section with your full name (including your middle name).
If you are already a member that is renewing their membership, please fill out the "reference" section in the "office use only" section with only your surname followed by your membership number.
By doing this, you will allow us to track your payment much more easily when we get our bank statements (and see your payment on one of them).
2. Visit our office and pay your subscription there (cash, cheque and credit/debit card are all accepted). Our office is open Mon, Wed, Fri between the hours of 9:30am & 1:30pm - address below.
3. Pay online via the Conservative Party website at https://www.conservatives.com/join (credit/debit card only).
4. Call the SSCA Office on 01902 844985 and ask to make a payment directly to us (via credit/debit card only). You will be asked to provide your details over the phone.
Our office's address is:
South Staffordshire Conservative Association
4 Station Road
When we receive your payment, you will receive a membership card as confirmation. You can use this card to prove that you are an SSCA Member.
We thank you for your support, and sincerely hope that you enjoy being an SSCA Member!
- Only after the first 3 months of owning a full membership will you be entitled to attend & vote in Conservative Party and SSCA AGM Elections. Friends cannot attend or vote in these.
- It usually takes up to 28 days for your membership card to arrive in the post due to the delay between putting you onto our membership database system (VoteSource) and Conservative Campaigning Headquarters (CCHQ) in London sending you a card.
- The SSCA keeps track of its members and their activities with its database, so even if you haven't received a membership card or have lost it, you will still be eligible to vote in AGM's if we can prove that you have been a full member for 3 months.
- After applying or renewing, CCHQ in London should send you a card once we make you a member on VoteSource. If not, please let us know so that we can get in touch with them ASAP.
- The SSCA will ensure that a damaged or lost membership card will get replaced - just let us know if you need a new one ASAP.
- If you upgrade your membership from a friend to a full membership, the date that you joined will be taken into consideration to decide if you can vote. For example, if you have been a friend for 3 months and then upgrade, you will immediately become eligible to vote.
- You cannot become a member of more than one Branch - one category of membership per person only.
- Any person living in the United Kingdom is eligible to join the Conservative Party. Applicants are not required to be registered voters or UK nationals. There is no upper or lower age limit on membership, although children under the age of 15 cannot be enrolled as full voting members. They will instead be considered friends.
- A lapsed member that wants to rejoin has to rejoin as a new member. "Lapsed" means that you didn't renew for 3 months after the renewal date on your membership card.
- You do not have to wait until your renewal date to renew - you can renew whenever you like. Renewing always adds 1 year onto your original membership card's renewal date.
|The SSCA's 11 Branches & Their Chairmen.doc||50 KB|
|The SSCA's Membership Application Form.doc||218 KB|